The landmark of the Coventry Apartments is the beautiful Coventry Mansion. Known for years as the Rosenfield home, the stately structure has been designated a historic landmark. Morris Rosenfield built this high-style residence in 1893, but only lived here briefly before his death. However, his son Walter enjoyed this home until 1912 when he sold the home to J.M. Welch, and in 1920 it changed ownership again when St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church of Rock Island purchased it. In 1957, St. Joseph’s began to build its own convent near the church for the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the former Rosenfield home was then sold to the Jewish Center for use as an educational building in 1958.

 

In 1977, Harris Webber Ltd., an Illinois developer, became interested in the former Rosenfield property as the site for a housing project for the elderly. Mr. Webber owns and operates the facility and Illinois Housing Development Authority subsidizes rent for the residents. Thus, the rooms which have echoed the sounds of family life, chanting nuns, recitations of students and laughter of nursery school tots have come to life with voices of retirees who find enjoyment within the walls of The Coventry.

 
 
The Coventry Apartments was thoughtfully developed by Harris Webber, Ltd., based in Libertyville, Illinois. Founded in 1976, the firm specializes in the development of quality retirement communities with a focus on comfort, convenience, and freedom from worry for the individuals who make those communities their home. Coventry's design approach emphasizes a non-institutional setting where an atmosphere of home and community always come shining through.

 

Morris Rosenfield Morris Rosenfield was a German immigrant and prominent community member. Morris and his wife Julia had three children Irene, Walter, and Charles. Walter lived in the opulent home until 1916. The family wealth came from industry; they were owners of Rock Island Bridge, Iron Works, and Moline Plow Company. Walter Rosenfield was the Mayor of Rock Island from 1923 to 1927.